F Meet The Goats: My Starter Herd - Rural Mama's Sandbox

Meet The Goats: My Starter Herd

I've briefly introduced you to my goat adventures, but I figured I would give you all a glimpse of my whole starter herd of Nigerian Dwarf Goats, which includes 2 does and 2 bucks. 

Prairie Wood Golden Dynasty

"Dyna" as we call her is the Diva and the spunky one out of the group. She loved to run and play and kick up her heels. She is bold and doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. Dyna tends to do pretty well at shows, she placed 2nd in her class at our first show and 1st in her class at the second show plus was awarded Reserve Champion Junior Doe. She seems to mature faster than my other doe and I hope that she milks well in the future! Big Sister insists that Dyna is "HER" goat.

Prairie Wood Mariposa Vistosa 


"Mary" is a sweet quiet girl. She is go with the flow and easy to get along with. She loved to run and place but seems to be more interested in her surroundings and exploring. She seems to be a little slower to develop than Dyna and hasn't placed as well as in her first two shows. The older she gets it seems like her body is catching up. I plan to breed her much later than I will with Dyna, so that she has plenty of time to mature into a great milker. Little Sister insists that Mary is"HER" goat.

Alford Meadows Domino Joe

"Joey" is my shy boy. He isn't too wild about human contact, but will tolerate it. I wasn't sure if I would like him when I first bought him, but he is really growing on me, I like him build and his resilience. His dam raised triplets, so I am hopeful that he will pass on some nice milk genetics.

Bleat N Teats Johnny Be Good
"Johnny" was a bottle baby growing up and boy can you tell it. He is like a puppy dog and will follow me everywhere. He is very friendly and just loves Big Sister. He will eat ANYTHING that a human gives him, even icky medicine that the other goats fight me with. He appears to have more of a dairy build than Joey and his dam was a good milker, so I am hopeful that he will pass on nice milk genetics as well. 

I would like to get another doe, maybe a yearling, after winter to round out the herd a bit. I plan on breeding my girls next year for summer kids. If I am blessed with a doeling I will be keeping a doeling from each of my does and selling any other kids (assuming I can part with them, I know I will fall in love!) I can't wait to start milking and making soap and cheese! I have been doing a lot of research so that I am prepared once the milk starts flowing.

We have a show coming up mid September and this time we will be taking the boys as well. I am new to goats so I am curious as to what the judges think of my little bucks!

Have a wonderful evening dear followers!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments HERE: