F Child Safety: Land Line Phones - Rural Mama's Sandbox

Child Safety: Land Line Phones

I was surfing the net a couple days a go and came across a wonderful blog, The Peaceful Mom. In the parenting section of her blog, I found a link to FREE Child Safe Kits. Naturally, I was curious so I  clicked on the link. The Statistics on their main page just floored me:

"In the United States, nearly 800,000 children are reported missing each year. That is over 2,000 children a day*."
*National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway and Throwaway Children (NISMART-2), October 2002

I submitted the form to receive two FREE Child Safe Kits, then returned to the main page. I began looking around more and at the bottom of their page they had this Child Safety Tip:

 "Make sure your child knows his or her full name, address and phone number, where you work and how you can be contacted. Teach them how to dial 911."

Thoughts immediately started running through my head. 

Phone number? Which number? My husbands or mine? We both have cell phones and no home phone. My cell phone is too complicated for my kids. What should I do?

Before we had kids my husband and I decided to get rid of the house phone to save money since we both used our cell phones all the time anyway. After reading through the Child Safe Kits site, it has become evident to me that we need to have a REAL land line phone at home. It doesn't have to have to be on an expensive plan, it just needs to be there for emergencies and I need to teach my oldest where to find the phone and how to dial it correctly.

In this advanced technology age with modern conveniences we often forget WHY we used older technology like land line phones and the safety they can provide in emergency situations!

Do you have a phone at home? Do your kids know how to dial 911?

Thanks for reading dear followers and stay SAFE!
 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments HERE: