F Big Sister's New Chapter - Rural Mama's Sandbox

Big Sister's New Chapter



I've had some concern about Big Sister's speech for a while now. She is about 2 1/2 years old and I couldn't help but notice that kids her age and even ones considerably younger, talk much better than she does. She only has a handful of words that sound like actual words, the rest are partial words that only we know what she means because we're around her all the time. I know that normally you shouldn't compare kids with other kids because each one develops differently, but Big Sister's speech just kept bothering me and bothering me.

I was referred to a program that evaluates kids for a variety of developmental skills and then recommends certain therapies to help them. Today Big Sister had her evaluation and although I was concerned about her speech, the lady did a full evaluation of all her skills. I was very impressed with the whole evaluation. The lady brought several toys and activities to gauge her development as well as asked me several questions and asked Big Sister to do a variety of activities. At the end of her evaluation, the lady said that Big Sister had excellent Problem Solving Skills and that she was slow in her Social and Speech Skills. In the next couple of weeks I will be talking to a Speech Therapist and setting up a program for Big Sister. The Speech Therapist will be seeing Big Sister once a week, but for how long I am not yet sure. I am relieved to know where she stands in her development and I am excited to start the process of getting her help. I can't wait to see her progress and to be able to communicate with her even better!

A mother's intuition is almost always right, and I would like to encourage other Moms to seek help from doctor's and professionals if you have any concerns about your child's development.

Thanks for reading Dear Followers and I hope you stick around for future updates on Big Sister's progress!
Kelsey

CLICK HERE to read more about Big Sister's Progress with her Speech!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments HERE: