F Baby Leg Warmer Project - Rural Mama's Sandbox

Baby Leg Warmer Project

Okay, so I've seen these products called Baby Legs all over the Cloth Diaper blogs. They are SUPER cute leg warmers for babies. Makes life so MUCH easier for moms and dads to change diapers and keep their little one's legs warm without having to take pants off and on. I REALLY wanted a pair, but they are pretty expensive for one pair so I gave up ever getting them. I found a couple blogs online that gave descriptions on how to make your own Baby Leg Warmers using Women's Knee High Socks. I was so excited, except I don't have a sewing machine and I really don't know how to hand sew very well... or rather at all... I didn't have a lot of money to throw at his project, so buying a sewing machine was out of the question... (IF there are any sewing machine companies that would like to give me, a beginner, a super easy sewing machine to try, I would LOVE to do a review for one! Contact ME!) So, I found this little device made by Singer, called a SewQuick, it was about $15.00 at Wal-Mart and looked Blond Proof... well almost. I bought several pairs of Women's Knee High Socks (Shoe Size 4-10) as well as some Girl's Knee High Socks (Shoe Size 10 1/2 - 4). Today I attempted to make a pair of Baby Leg Warmers using the directions from the blog Cut Out + Keep. I had a couple issues come up while trying to make these Leg Warmers...

First issue, I had to learn to use the SewQuick machine. From the look of it on the box it looked really simple, which was good because I have never sewed anything before. Well, I decided to try it out on a piece of fabric first instead of just trying to jump in to the project. The main issue I had with the SewQuick was the needle, it doesn't come up very high at all and I wasn't sure I could get it to work for the project. The fabric also was catching on the little tracks that move the fabric. Once I started using it for the project it worked just fine, so I'm guessing I just didn't have a big enough piece of fabric as a tester.

Second issue, I wanted to take step by step photos of my project, but my digital camera's flash decided to go out (Once again IF there is a company out there that would like me to review a Digital Camera that would be great for taking portrait as well as action shots of kids and animals, please contact me!). I took a few pictures using it, then found our other digital camera, the flash works on it, but it randomly shuts off by itself so its frustrating to use.

Third issue, I made one, and I turned the fabric the wrong direction, so the cuff is actually inside out... it looks a little funky, but will function.

Fourth issue, after I made the second one and was tying the knot with the needle threader I pulled too hard and broke the threader. I don't have another one and I can't figure out how to fix it... so when I finished sewing the cuff on the second one, I ran over the end seam in hopes it would stay, since I couldn't tie a knot like I did the first one.

Over all I think I did ok for my first time. I will definitely get better with future Baby Leg Warmers. Here are some photos from my sewing attempt, Enjoy:

Singer SewQuick Machine
Women's Knee High Socks (Shoe Size 4-10)
First Stage, Cutting into Pieces

Cuff Folded in half the correct way

Cuff Placed on Sock ready to Sew
Cuff Sewed On
Final Products, you can see how I messed up the first one (top) compared to the second one (bottom), which I did correctly.
Hope you enjoyed my sewing adventure dear followers! Will get photos of my baby girl wearing them once she gets up from her nap!
Kelsey

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments HERE: